About Us

Father McGivney Image

On Oct. 2, 1881, a group of men met in the basement of St. Mary's Church on Hillhouse Avenue in New Haven, Conn. Called together by their 29-year-old parish priest, Father Michael J. McGivney, these men formed a fraternal society that would one day become the world's largest Catholic family fraternal service organization.

They sought strength in solidarity, and security through unity of purpose and devotion to a holy cause: they vowed to be defenders of their country, their families and their faith.

These men were bound together by the ideal of Christopher Columbus, the discoverer of the Americas, the one whose hand brought Christianity to the New World. Their efforts came to fruition with the incorporation of the Knights of Columbus on March 29, 1882.

They were Knights of Columbus.

The Order has been called "the strong right arm of the Church," and has been praised by popes, presidents and other world leaders, for support of the Church, programs of evangelization and Catholic education, civic involvement and aid to those in need.

K of C Logo

The emblem of the Order dates from the second Supreme Council meeting May 12, 1883, when it was designed by James T.Mullen, who was then Supreme Knight. The significance of our emblem can be found here.

 

 

Council 4034 is 59 years old this year. Its chater was issued on May 24, 1955. Initially the membership represented the areas of Fredericksburg, Stafford, Spotsylvania, Caroline, King George, Prince William and Colonial Beach.

As the area and membership grew, the Fredericksburg Council was instrumental in helping to form additional Councils in Culpepper and Manassas with many of our members transfered and became charter members in these Councils. In 1981, 36 members of 4034 transferred to the newly chartered Holy Trinity Council in King George and the  Fr. Widmer Council at the new parish of St. William of York in North Stafford.The Fredericksburg Council entered the twenty-first century with a surge in growth. Membership topped 300 in 2007 despite a transfer of 47 members to the new Council at St. Jude's parish in 2005.

The Council has earned the Double Star Council award three times since its fiftieth anniversary in 2005. We are currently over 350 members. We take pride in our past and anticipate increased success in our future.